Buying Italian Lottery Tickets Online – How it Works
The Italian Lottery
Launched in 1997, the SuperEnalotto Italian lottery game is the biggest lottery currently found in Italy. It has some of the largest jackpots in the world, which have contributed to its popularity and the odds of winning the lottery are one of the lowest worldwide. The draws of the SuperEnalotto are conducted on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturday. The price of one ticket is €1. One of the most notable features of Italy’s national lottery is that its jackpot grows without any caps whatsoever due to which you can expect massive amounts in winnings. The jackpot can rollover as many times as possible until there is a winner. Even second prizes of the SuperEnalotto are huge.
The draws of the SuperEnalotto are conducted in Rome and if the draw is on a public holiday in Italy, then it is scheduled for an earlier or later date.
Knowing the Italian Lottery Rules
In order to participate in one of the most renowned lotteries of the world, there are some basic rules you need to remember:
- Firstly, you have to be at least 18 years of age for participating in the SuperEnalotto.
- Even if you don’t live in Italy, you can still take part in the lottery and try your luck at the huge jackpots offered.
- The winnings have to be claimed within a period of 12 weeks or 90 days or else they will expire.
- An Italian tax of about 12% is applicable on all lottery winnings in excess of €500. But, those playing the SuperEnalotto from other areas of the world may also be subject to taxes in their own countries. It is best to obtain information beforehand.
- The odds of winning any prize in the SuperEnalotto is 1 in 20 and those of winning the jackpot are 1 in 622.6 million.
Guide for Playing the Italian Lottery
As mentioned above, the cost of one try is €1. Before February 2016, the same prize would have gotten you two plays.
- The primary purpose of the game is to match six numbers from a total of 90. Matching all the names will make the player winner of the jackpot.
- Other than that, there are also five additional prize categories offered by the SuperEnalotto to its participants.
- Furthermore, those who have succeeded in matching five numbers can also benefit from the ‘Jolly’ number. If they are able to match the ‘Jolly’ number, they win a higher prize.
- Only second prizes are affected by the Jolly number and the jackpot remains unchanged. You have to match at least two numbers for taking home any prize. There is also the ‘SuperStar’ number, which costs extra. It is drawn separately so it can match a winning number and increases your prizes or pays a fixed amount even if the player doesn’t match any main numbers.
How Can I win the Italian Lottery?
Numbers play a very important role in winning the SuperEnalotto lottery, especially because the odds are tough for this particular lottery game. One of the most notable tricks you can use for selecting the right numbers is by checking out the hot and cold numbers for the SuperEnalotto draw. Hot numbers are those that tend to come up frequently in draws whereas cold numbers are ones that are drawn the least. You can go about this in two ways. First, you can pick the hot numbers as they have the best chances of being drawn. Secondly, you can try out the cold numbers as they could be overdue now and may be drawn.
Italian Lottery Payouts
As aforementioned, there is no limit to the SuperEnalotto jackpot as it can rollover as many times as possible. It holds the record of one of the world’s longest rollovers that spanned over eight months. It was claimed in October 30th, 2010 by a syndicate of 70 winners after it had reached a sum of €177.7 million. The second largest jackpot that was paid out to a single ticket was €147.8 million was claimed on August 22nd, 2009.
Second Tier Payouts
The second-tier prizes and their odds are listed below:
- Matching 5 main numbers and Jolly number has a prize of €311,000 and odds of 1 in 103,769,105.
- Matching 5 main numbers has a prize of €32,000 and the odds are 1 in 1,235,346.
- Matching 4 main numbers has a prize of €300 and odds of 1 in 11,907.
- Matching 3 main numbers has a prize of €25 and the odds are 1 in 327.
- Matching 2 main numbers has a prize of €5 and the odds are 1 in 22.
History of the Italian Lottery
An Italian lottery company known as SISAL runs the SuperEnalotto and it has been working with the local government for about 60 years. Since the 1950s, SuperEnalotto’s predecessor was operated in the country, which was known as Enalotto. But, then SISAL managed to win the right to run the lottery. In December 1996, the officials decided to amend some of the rules as well as the name to make it more fun. The son of one of the founders of SISAL, Rodolfo Molo gave the SuperEnalotto its new look and its first draw took place in 1997.
Buy Italian Lottery Tickets Online
You don’t have to be in Italy to buy the tickets for the SuperEnalotto and get a chance to win its huge jackpot. Thanks to the online lottery concierge services such as Lottosend that are now available, you can play the SuperEnalotto online. The process is very easy as all you have to do is sign up for free. You are informed via email about the draws and the services assist you in making claims and getting your prize.
Online Italian Lottery Syndicate
Participating in an online syndicate for the SuperEnalotto draw is one of the best ways to boost your winnings odds. In fact, it is a syndicate that holds the record of the highest jackpot through the SuperEnalotto. Online syndicates are convenient and enable you to increase your chances without having to spend huge sums of money.