Nearly a decade ago, a class action lawsuit had been filed against American technology giant
Apple Inc. Now, this lawsuit is hinging on a single iPod that was purchased in 2008 by a woman
in New Jersey. On Friday, in a surprising turn of events, one of the named plaintiffs in the case
was withdrawn by the lawyers who are suing the iPhone maker for $350 million in damages.
This move occurred because it was discovered that the said plaintiff did not purchase the iPod
during the period of September 2006 to March 2009. During this period, according to the
allegations, the smartphone giant prevented music from competing services to work on its iPod.
After the removal of this plaintiff, only one is left in the ring. Late Wednesday night, Apple filed a
letter with the court stating that the company had checked the serial number of the iPod Touch
that was purchased by Marianna Rosen, the remaining plaintiff. The company had discovered
through this check that she bought the device in July 2009, which was months after the
specified period in the lawsuit. A motion was filed by the company on Friday in which it
requested the court to dismiss the case altogether because neither plaintiff had been using the
iPod during the period in question.
In its filing, Apple Inc. stated that the trial testimony of Ms. Rosen concerning her purchase of
two iPods in 2007 and 2008 wasn’t authentic. A receipt was also attached by the technology
giant, which showed that the iPod Touch hadn’t been purchased by the plaintiff herself, but
instead it had been bought by her spouse’s law firm. A solution may still be provided by
outsiders. Jeffrey Kowalski, a Michigan man contacted the judge on Friday afternoon to inform
him that he had purchased an iPod Touch during the specified period.
The lead attorney of the plaintiffs, Bonny Sweeney told the federal judge, Yvonne Gonzalez
Rogers, who is overseeing the case that Ms. Rosen bought another iPod Touch in 2008. She
said that a full response to Apple’s letter would be given on Saturday. No ruling has been given
by the judge regarding the motion filed by the iPhone maker. On Friday morning, the trial
continued its proceedings and the head of the iTunes software at Apple, Jeff Robbin, gave his
testimony. A taped deposition of the late co-founder of the company, Mr. Steve Jobs was also
shown on Friday.
The outcome of the lawsuit cannot be determined as yet. In other news for the smartphone
manufacturer, former Apple executive, Paul S. Devine, has been sentenced in San Jose federal
court. He is required to pay $4.5 million for his crimes and will also serve a year in prison as he
was found guilty of selling some of the secrets of the iPhone maker to its suppliers. Three years
before, Mr. Devine had pleaded guilty on charges of conspiracy, wire fraud and money
laundering. He worked for Apple from 2005 to 2010 until he was arrested.